Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Final Day

Hello everyone!

I am sitting here in an internet cafe in Delhi writing this post on our very last day. I can't believe that I will be home so soon. This trip has flown by and I am sad that it is coming to an end. I have met so many wonderful people and seen so many amazing things. Talk about a once in a life time opportunity. From the Taj Mahal to the burning Ghats in Varanasi I feel like I have seen so much. Not only have my eyes been opened to the wonders of the world, but I have also learned more than I ever expected. I have developed a deeper appreciation for many things but two in particular. First is the importance of religion in every day life. Being able to witness so many different religions and their impact on the people who practice them has really driven this lesson home. People crave religion, something bigger than themselves, something that gives them hope. I have never seen a group of more kind or grateful people than here in India and I truly believe that it has a lot to do with the value they place on their religion. Secondly, I have learned how important it is to be grateful for what you have and to not take even the littlest things for granted. Before I came on this trip I never realized how much I had to be grateful for in the U.S. I thought clean drinking water was a given and having a car was a necessary thing in life. It never occurred to me that while I was laying in my big bed at home someone across the world was sleeping on the trash covered ground. I know now though that everything I have is a gift and that I shouldn't expect so much. I hope that when I leave India I will be able to carry this mindset back to the U.S. Even more importantly, I hope that there is something I can do to help India from the U.S, even if it may not seem like a lot.  I will never forget my time here and the things that I have seen.

Goodbye India!
Josie

No comments:

Post a Comment