Tuesday, June 11, 2013

All you need is love - Be the change you wish to see in the world

So one day Dr. Maher tells us to meet up so we can do a group activity. Sound relaxing right? Well we start walking up the hill and by hill I mean mountain. MY LORD I was tired. It felt like forever walking up this big mountain then some stairs surrounded by rain and scary jumping monkeys. Haley and I kept saying "Leave us!!!" We finally made it to the top and it was totally worth it. The view from the top of this area was amazing and not only that but we walked to go meditate. We walked until we found an interesting spot and this scenery was incredibly beautiful I felt like I was in a post card. We walked up this hill covered in big rocks and bushes and we found a place to sit. I perched myself on a big rock with no poop on it. Dr. Maher proceeded to lead us in Buddhist meditation. I'm not sure if it was because I have ADD or what but I was having a very hard time calming my mind and focusing on my breath. Eventually we moved on to a different type of meditation which was a guided meditation. This time he told us to picture our mother or someone who loved us and would do anything for us. In my mind I pictured my mother standing in front of me waiting for me to hug her, then I remembered all of the times she would take care of me when I was sick. She would let me sleep in her room with the tv and rub my back all day. She would wait on my and bring me anything I needed and just be there for me. Since I would lay in her bed normally she would get sick too. My mother always is there for me and has so much love for me that sometimes I don't even realize it. This emotion became so overwhelming that I started crying on the mountain for how joyed I am for the love of not only her but for my whole family. Then we felt that love swell up inside us and we were to project it onto her and make her feel loved. Then we would do it to our next closest group which was my family which to me is the same closeness as my mother. My family would do anything for me and I want them to feel the love from me that I feel from them. This meditation eventually moved to all of our friends then people we just knew then to our enemies. While picturing them we were to project the same initial love on to them as we felt from our own mothers. This experience made me realize that if everyone in the world loved each other like they love their own mother what a beautiful world we would live in. I realized by doing this myself  I can spread some more beauty to the world. A Tibetan man tonight at dinner said that the lotus was very important to Buddhism because it grows in mud but when it flowers it suddenly brings beauty to the whole area. I hope to be the lotus in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment