Thursday, June 6, 2013

Rishikesh is Calling

Guys I'm not going to lie, ever since we've touched down in Delhi I've been dreaming of going to the mountains of Northern North India. There is just something about being cramped in cities with millions of people that I've still not felt all that comfortable about, but then again you can't really complain since India has about a billion people in it anyway.

Rishikesh is this small town is about 6 or 7 hours by bus drive outside of Delhi, and the landscape and view here is by far the most amazing thing that I have seen in my entire life. A lot of people here have posted about how they went to the Beatles Ashram or gone swimming in the Ganga and how both of those experiences have been great. I'm not going to lie, both of them have really been amazing, the Beatles Ashram, which is pretty run down, has by far some of the best graffiti I have ever seen. As for the Ganga, the best way I can explain it for my ECU friends is that if you've done the Polar Bear Plunge this past year you could easily go jump in the Ganga.  I've also figured out that the only reason that people say you can get your sins cleansed in the Ganga is because its cold enough to literally rip the sins out of your body, and that's no joke, I've never been so damn cold in my entire life. A lot of these places I can't really expalin without showing you guys a lot of pictures, which I will eventually on facebook.

As for the city of Rishikesh, the best way I can describe it is that it is pretty much a meeting point for the World's hippies. This is the off-season for tourism, yet there are people from all over the world here. Just the other day I met a group of hippies from San Francisco, Baghdad (no joke), and London. I even got a quick jam session on the djembe drums with a few of them, it was a great bonding moment.

On a bit more of a serious note, I can say that this trip has truly been a opportunity for me to have some personal growth, unfortunately it was not in stature; however, in the past 14 days I've though a lot about who I am and what I can do to better my self. I think that each and every single person on this trip has had some growth. Each member of this group has a completely different personality, completely different views of the world, and new ideas based on their observations; for me personally I love it. I like meeting and getting to know a little bit more about the people on this trip and trying to get a better understanding of the world and society that we live in based on another person's way of thinking.

Take care,

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment