Thursday, June 13, 2013

Full Circle

We're back in New Delhi. The temperature is nothing like the mountains, its humid and hotter than ever. The hustle and bustle of city life is no joke and its back to the fast paced atmosphere we were thrown into almost a month ago.The group has officially went full circle and ended up back where our journey all began. We've seen so many different places, peoples, and cultures its crazy to think that we're entering our last twenty-four hours in India. As we walked the streets of New Delhi back to the hotel I had a huge smile on my face because I knew something was different from the last time we were here. Nothing could have prepared us for the initial culture shock of New Delhi about a month ago, but now in our last hours nothing could have prepared us better for this return than Dr. Maher and our tour around North India. When we first got here in May we looked like fish out of water but now are barely noticed as we walk the streets. I can't believe i'm saying this, but we actually almost blended in for a minutes. What surprised us before, we handle like experts. For example, Walker and I walked towards the hotel and were approached by a guy trying to sell us something. What would have taken us ten minutes to get rid of the guy a month ago only took thirty seconds. We know how to handle situations and even though the short walk to the hotel only lasted two minutes, I know something is different this time. Our experiences have changed the way we look at New Delhi and I personally have a new found respect for this city and its people. India is diverse and each area we have seen has its own sub-culture. There is no place I would rather end my journey then where it started, right here in New Delhi. This might sound cheesy, but it almost feels like a homecoming to be back here where it all started. To see the same stores, people, and buildings is mind blowing and the last three weeks seem almost like a dream. I had to stop and ask myself, "did all of that really just happen?" when I got off the train tonight. 

To complete the circle is to arrive back in Rocky Mt., North Carolina. At that point I know more revelations are to come. Time moves so fast and I've learned to stop and be mindful of each moment. There's no need to worry about the past because it cannot be changed or worry about the future because it is yet to come. I love India but I am excited to get back to my family, friends, and life in NC. This journey has been the trip of a lifetime and i'll never forget one second of it as I move forward in life. Almost at the finish line i'm more than excited to return home a better, more well-rounded person than when I left. I'll take the lessons learned here with me every where I go and most importantly I will make the most of my last hours here in New Delhi. 

Weh'yee "West" Barkon

No comments:

Post a Comment