Thursday, May 30, 2013

    We have only been in India for a little over a week and have already visited five cities! Arriving in Delhi was a little bit of a shock but so exciting. My favorite part of Delhi was Gandhi's memorial. It was so interesting. It was amazing to be in the same place Gandhi lived the last years of his life. The memorial even had his foot prints leading from his room to the spot he was assassinated. I was able to learn so much more about Gandhi through this memorial. After Delhi we visited Pushkar. So far Pushkar has been my favorite city. The hotel we stayed in was beautiful! The lobby in the center of the hotel was like a jungle. The inside was completely open with vines and trees growing through each flour. Birds would fly in and bathe in the fountain. While we were in Pushkar it was Saka Dawa which is a very important religious holiday. Because of this holiday there were many people filling the streets and temples. It was so exciting! While walking around the lake, a man stopped Kaitlyn, Sidney, and I and told us to come with him to throw flowers in the lake. He performed a blessing and prayer with us. He told me I would get a good boyfriend in three months, have a happy marriage, and three children but only if I promised to the gods I would return to India in 11 years with my happy family. He also made us promise to give to charity one time in our lives....then he asked for money.
   On our last day in Pushkar we woke up really early to ride camels at 5am! But it was so worth it! We rode camels through the desert and watched the sunset! It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. After Pushkar we traveled to Jaipur and visited the City Palace. After Jaipur we went to Agra. My favorite thing in Agra was the Taj Mahal. When we walked up to it, it didn't even look real! The pictures look like we were cropped into them! We left Agra on a night train and came to Varanasi. It is so pretty here. The river is right outside of our hotel. Today we even watched a cremation on the river. It was a little weird to watch but still very interesting. It has been a crazy week but so much fun! I love everything we have done so far and can't wait to experience even more! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment