Friday, May 24, 2013

India: The Ultimate Experience (part one)


GREETINGS FROM INDIA! I can't believe I'm finally here. For months, this trip has been a huge motivation for keeping me to move forward and not look back and wonder what I should've/would've/could've done. To describe this place is borderline impossible. You see pictures and hear stories and think "yeah, I get it. I know what they're talking about". I was completely dead wrong. I've only been three days and I feel like I could  already write a novel on my experiences here. The city of Delhi is nothing short of busy. I've been nearly hit by rickshaws and attacked by metro doors for not being able to keep up with the extremely fast pace of the city. I thought I knew city life, being from the DC area, but I was clearly wrong. I'm not accustomed to hearing horns constantly and cars coming within inches of me. And though it is somewhat nerve racking, I love this place. It has an energy that cant be compared to anywhere in the states. The people here are in awe of us. Some stare with their mouths open while others ask to take pictures of us. While we're the ones who actually want to take pictures with them.
The first day here I immediately learned that US dollars go a long way in India. I've bought beautiful pants that would cost 20$ in America for 2$ here. I also learned to not laugh at random rickshaw drivers jokes or else they will follow you making declarations of love and say "I can show you the world!". Nothing can get you used to the heat in India. And though at times it's borderline miserable, it is a much needed body cleanse. I'm getting the ultimate spa treatment for free!
The people in this group are the kind of people I love to surround myself with. None of them are shallow, and I've already gotten into so many in depth conversations about the complexities of the mind and the human body. Along with discussions about the interconnected relationship between religion and science. It's nice to be surrounded by people with so many different personalities but who all have the same view about life. That it's just meant to be lived and experienced to the best of our capabilities.
In Delhi we went to many different places of importance that I'm sure you've read in my colleagues posts. But one of the places that impacted me the most was Akshardam. Walking into it I wasn't expecting to have the security check of my life or the people wanting to take thousands of photos with us, along with the beautiful complexities of the marble carvings throughout the place. What truly affected me was, while we were inside, there was a call to prayer. Franchessca and I decided to sit with them while at least 40 Hindus sat and payed homage to their gods. I was so overwhelmed by the love and devotion just flowing through the pores of all the people, that I started to cry. As silly it may seem, I had forgotten how religion can bring about such a positively euphoric vibe from people.
On the way to the next place we are staying, we drove past a village of farmers. And though through western eyes they may seem suppressed, I feel that if I were to ask them if they were content, they would say they are happy and very blessed. Although they may not have all the luxuries of western society, they are able to sustain themselves while taking care of the ones they love. For me, there's nothing more important than that.
To fully describe all the inner reflections I've undergone in India would take too long and I don't have much time on the internet. All I can say is that I love this place with all my heart and soul, and wish that all my friends and family back home could be here with me and experience the beauty of life half way across the world.

Namaste
Lindsay Pugh

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Linds. Made me all misty eyed. Glad you're having as grand of an experience as you hoped! Love you! ~Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we were there too! can't wait to hear all about it in person :)

    ReplyDelete