Thursday, May 23, 2013

Day Two

Here I am sitting in an Internet cafe writing my first blog post ever. It is so surreal that I am in India right now. It feels like I have been here for almost a week now. Before I get ahead of myself telling all of these random stories, I should start at the beginning and tell you how I got here.

At 5:30 AM, I woke up. Josie's dad then drove her and I to Rocky Mount. There, we met 10/16 students on this trip. We departed Rocky Mount at 11:50, and were supposed to arrive at 4:37. Notice how I said were? Yeah, we got there at 8:00. The train ride was backed up four hours and the bathrooms were gross. Trust me when I say to never use an Amtrak bathroom!! However, I now appreciate thoser bathrooms after having to pee in a public restroom here (PS squatting toilets suck). Anyways, the train ride was an awesome way to get to know some of my colleagues. I feel like I've known everyone for so long! I guess when you're all hot, sweaty, and ugly, there is not much room to judge one another. I like that. When we finally got to Rocky Mount, we took taxis to Dulles, rushed through security and boarded our flight. I wish I could tell you about that plane ride, but I was literally in a coma for the whole thing. I slept for all but 2 hours of the 12 hour flight. Once we arrived in Abu Dhabi, I knew that the hard part was done. Abu Dhabi's airport was absolutely breathtaking. I wish that I could explore the city itself. On the flight to Delhi, I watched Life of Pi. I am so cultured.

So that is how I got here. Although I have been to India before, this is so much different. I have never been to this area, been without my parents, or had this much freedom. When we pulled up to our hotel, I was terrified. There were barely-dressed Indian men chillin'  and sleeping on the outside of the hotel. There were stray dogs everywhere. It smelled like urine, too. That is a smell that I have become immune to now. Despite my first imprssion, our hotel is awesome! The owner is my new BFF. The first day was really lax. I didn't sleep at all the night before because I was too excited to explore. Instead of sleping (which I later regretted), a few of my friends and I went exploring. Nobody here thought I was Indian!! They all tried talking to this boy Josh, another Indian boy on this trip. I was totally offended.

Instead of telling you all about what we did (which I promise you I will do once I am home whether you want to hear about it or not), I'll tell you how India maks me feel (bsides sweaty and lik an outsider). It is so cool coming to India and seing how my family once lived. My parents once lived like these people did, and now we live such a privelged life in America. I can't even begin to fathom how they did it. The poverty here is beyond anything I have ever experienced. Yesterday, these 5 little girls came to me, begin kissing my feet, calling me "didi" or sister, and begging me to give them money for food. I was told my just about everyone to never give money to a beggar child, but I gave one of them 110 rupees anyways. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER. The whole group hates me for doing that. These girls followed us for the next hour... into the stores, into the coffee shop, and until we got on rickshaws and left! All of them felt so bad that they had to buy the girls something or give them money. As for the religious experiences I hav undergone since being here, they are so fascinating. I don't know much about my religion, Hinduism. Here, I have learned so much. I see various religions being practiced every day. I wake up to loud Hindu prayers, or rhythmic Islamic prayers from outside of the hotel. Today, I got a chance to visit the Lotus Temple, a Bahai temple here in Delhi. I didn't know that Bahai was, but the more I learn, the more I love it. You should look it up! If you know me, you'll know that it encompasses my views on God, and religion in general. Also, I went to the most breathaking Swaminarayan temple, Akshardham. It is definitely the most beautiful monument I have visited. I got to sit through a pooja (or prayer), and I have never felt so "one with my religion.' I have prayed to three Gods since I have been here, and I can't wait to learn about more.

Anyways, my time at the cafe is almost up! I hope all of my family and friends are doing well. Don't worry about me! I'm having a blast and basically want to move here already. Except being stared at all the time isn't too much fun. Everyone here thinks I am from Spain or am half white. These opinions will surely change as my skin continues to get darker by the minute. Thanks for reading, I should be writing again soon!! Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment