Thursday, May 30, 2013

Oh, the places you will go!

Hey guys!

Since I last wrote, we left Pushkar and went to Jaipur and Agra. We just arrived in Varanasi. I have been having a blast and the food is amazing here! I have had a surprisingly easy time finding internet although to be honest, I enjoy being away from the internet world. Sorry if I haven't been keeping everyone updated enough!

We only stayed in Jaipur for a day where we visited the City Palace. Out tour guide was great and showed us all the cool museums. I wish I was more familiar with the history of Jaipur because it would have been easier to keep up with the guide since he was showing us portraits and clothes worn by the past kings. A cool fact I learned is that there is a current King of Jaipur who is only 15 years old. That is crazy! Good news is that he has no political power. He still lives in a section of the palace which we were not allowed to enter. Our guide took us through a garments museum, a weapons museum, an art gallery, and shops that sold  Pashmina and all sorts of objects. One of my favorite experiences was when I was allowed to watch an artist paint using a single haired brush. The hair is from a squirrel's tail. The artwork was beautiful and even used real gold for certain ones. Another cool thing I saw was the pants that belonged to a king of Jaipur from the 18th century. He was so huge! The pants were four feet wide. To accentuate the size of his pants, the museum hung a ruler beside it. After we thoroughly explored the City Palace, we joined some young men in a courtyard for a game of cricket. When I say we, I of course mean only Josh and Frank. They did not want to play with girls and the other boys were not interested in cricket. I was disappointed as I really wanted to learn how to play.

The city of Agra contained some of my favorite monuments although it was one of my least favorite cities. In Agra, we visited the Agra Fort and the Taj Mahal. Both places are tied together by the same generation of kings. Agra Fort was built by the grandfather of the king who built the Taj Mahal. Our guides at both locations were phenomenal and I learned a lot of the history of the ruling family during that time period. The Taj Mahal was one of the most breathtaking views I have ever seen. From far away it looked like it was built from lace and seemed so fragile. The Agra Fort contained many palaces and was built over four generations of kings. Our guide at the fort was so cute and knowledgeable and called all of our his "sons" and "daughters". He was definitely my favorite guide so far and even showed us some cool optical illusions.

I have been having some great experiences and have seen some amazing sights. The group I am traveling with is full of exceptional people who are constantly looking out for each other. I am really excited for what is to come. My next post will be about my time in Varanasi.

Much love,
Karina

No comments:

Post a Comment