Saturday, May 25, 2013

Greetings from Pushkar the town with a ton of important temples that everyone except westerners can visit! And that's no joke, in a town of well over 500 temples only a few temples allow complete access to Westerners. Quite possibly the craziest temple was the one devoted to Brahma in which we pretty much were given a bunch of flowers and then told to march up a small hill only to get physically assaulted by a crowd of tiny old women and children trying to throw flowers at the statue. Most of you know me as the short Indian kid any ways so when I say that I was kinda proud that I was tall enough to see over people's heads, that's not an understatement.

Later on a group of us, Leela, Josey, Walker, Karina, Radhika, and I decided to go to a relatively large Sikh temple on the other side of town and on the way we stopped at another temple that was apparently devoted to Kali, who is the Hindu Goddess of empowerment. While at the temple we decided to split up and explore, Leela and I accidentally ran into the priests who were in charge of the temple and he actually took us and showed us around the temple. At the end of this tour, he then blessed us and even put some kind of ash on our forehead (at this point I just want to say a quick sorry to Jesus, I think I've celebrated Ash Wednesday a little too soon and at the wrong place, my bad, still love you though).

As a side note some one did teach me how to make Dhaal and Samosa in Pushkar, just letting everyone know right now, get ready to taste some burnt Indian food when I get back home.

P.S. Can someone please keep me updated on the NBA playoffs (all my teams are out, so anyone but the Heat), The Champions League Final (Go Dortmund), and the NBA Draft (Go Bobcats----and that's not a joke)?

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment