Thursday, May 30, 2013

Varanasi

For the next few days, we will be exploring Varanasi. This place is absolutely beautiful. Our hotel room has a view of the endless Ganges River. The winding streets are filled with shops displaying the most intricately designed tapestries, scarves, and silk sarees. The ghats (or staircases leading down to the Ganges) are covered in gorgeous "graffiti" of Lord Shiva, lotus flowers, and nature-themed drawings. Everything here seems so peaceful. Although the streets are crowded and smell kinda funny, I really like it here. The food is great (and cheap!) and the people seem to genuinely care about who you are, where you're from, and what your story is. Even those who I haven't bought things from have held deeply intriguing conversations with me about my religion, Hinduism, my life in America, and my family. The whole city of Varanasi is along with Ganges River, one of the most intriguing yet polluted rivers in the world. Since I am Hindu, the Ganges has a special place in my heart. Today, we saw a cremation taking place at the Burning Ghat, a special section of town where hundreds of bodies are cremated every day. The man was wrapped in a brightly colored orange cloth with gold details. First, the men laid down a row of sandalwood, the placed the body on top. Afterwards, more wood was placed on him, then the body was sprinkled with sandalwood powder and other powders which I don't know the name of. Soon enough, the body was engulfed in flames. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, smelling, and experiencing. To me, that man was a stranger. I didn't know his name, where he was from, what he did for a living, or what his family was like. But for others, he may have been a father, a husband, or a deeply loved friend. It was scary to think that not too long ago, he was breathing, talking, and enjoying life. It was even scarier to think that at one point in my life, I'll be just that: a pile of ashes floating in the Ganges. I'll be among millions of my people. I don't know how to even put into words what I felt seeing that mans body crumble into ashes, but it did help me appreciate life. I'm usually an extremely outgoing and happy person, but this showed that at any point, my life could end. I think that my time in India, especially this cremation experience, has taught me to feel fortunate and lucky for all that I have in America. If my parents hadn't moved to America and worked as hard as they had and still do, I could have still been here living as the Indians do. Mom and Dad, thanks for everything that you do for me; I love you. Life is precious guys, embrace it, live it out to the fullest, and enjoy every moment of it, for every moment you lose, you will never get back. 

- Radhi 

No comments:

Post a Comment